What to do and what not to do
If you find yourself dealing with a blocked drain or clogged sink, here are some steps you can take to fix it.
Blocked drains and clogged sinks are some of the main reasons customers call us for emergency plumbing.
Blocked drains are a right nuisance and the bane of many homeowners. They can be very tricky to deal with, especially because they usually don’t make themselves known until the most inconvenient moment, like when you have family staying, are hosting a big dinner or over a long weekend. We appreciate just how much of a hassle blocked drains and clogged sinks can be, so we’ve put together a few handy plumbing tips for you to try before you call in the experts from FlowFix Plumbing.
Call 027 265 4949.
Blocked drains and sinks – what to do
- Use a plunger: Start by using a plunger to create a strong seal around the drain. Apply firm and steady pressure to attempt to dislodge the blockage. This is often effective for minor blockages.
- Try a natural remedy: Mix equal parts baking soda and vinegar and pour it down the drain. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, then flush the drain with hot water. This can help break down organic material causing the blockage.
- Hot water flush: Pouring hot water down the drain can sometimes help to melt and flush away grease or other substances causing the blockage. However, be cautious using boiling water, especially if you have PVC pipes.
- Check and clean the drain trap: Under the sink, there is usually a U-shaped pipe called the trap. Place a bucket under it, unscrew the trap, and clean out any debris. This is a common place for blockages to hang out.
Didn’t work? Get your clogged sink or blocked drain fixed fast by calling us on 027 265 4949.
Blocked drains and sinks – what NOT to do
- Avoid using chemical drain cleaners: While it might be tempting to use a chemical drain cleaner, these products can be harsh and may damage your pipes, especially if they are older or made of certain materials.
- Don’t ignore the issue: Ignoring a blocked drain can lead to more significant problems, such as leaks or water damage. If you can’t fix the blockage promptly, then you need to call in our plumbers to prevent further complications.
- Refrain from excessive force: Avoid using excessive force with plungers as this can potentially damage your plumbing. Use steady, controlled pressure instead.
- Don’t flush inappropriate items: Avoid flushing non-biodegradable items down the toilet or pouring grease and large food particles down the sink. These can contribute to blockages over time.
- Avoid DIY methods if unsure: If you’re uncertain about how to address the blockage or if your attempts are unsuccessful, it’s best not to persevere with your DIY plumbing methods. Instead, seek professional help to avoid causing damage to your plumbing.
- Do not disassemble pipes if you don’t know what you’re doing: Pulling pipes apart without the proper knowledge or the right tools can lead to leaks or further damage. If you’re unsure, it’s better to call in a professional plumber who deals with blocked drains.
Repairing Blockages in North Auckland
Blocked drains, toilets and sinks are always unpleasant. When blockages happen, particularly in your toilet, you need to get it repaired fast.
However, you don’t have to deal with clogs and blockages on your own as professional help is available at FlowFix Plumbing.
Just call us on 027 265 4949.
Here are some of the reasons you should call us:
- We’ll respond to your call and get your system back to normal quickly
- Our plumbers will investigate why the blockage occurred to determine if there are other problems
- We are professional
- Our prices are affordable